Nominees for the Award must be recommended by one of the following nominators:
- The International Paralympic Committee (IPC)
- NPC of participating countries (NPC)
A nominator may nominate up to two athletes, one male and one female.
The Award is awarded to two athletes, one male and one female, regardless of nationality, race, gender, religion, ideology, and performance at the Games. To qualify for the Award, a nominee must be an athlete at the current Paralympic Games, and must demonstrate the spirit of overcoming their adversities throughout the Games with the attitude of fair play.
To be qualified as a nominee:
- Nominee must be an athlete at the current Paralympic Games.
- Nominee must follow the general rules and responsibility as an athlete.
- Nominee must condemn the use of banned substances for performance enhancement.